Monday, September 2, 2013

The Author

P.C. Cast defines an author as "a storyteller who observes the world and then reshapes it into his own vision to entertain and amuse."  Beautiful isn't it?  Or slightly disturbing if you've read fifty shades.  I didn't read it but I've given the smug looks at those that read it in public.  I mean come on.  No pun intended.  The bleeding heart fans out there are even quite the deviants to watch out for.  That pun was intended.  Okay, okay, I promise to stop.  Well not really but all and all, back to my point.  Who am I when it comes to this blog, its author and creator.  We could call me the director or the man with the reins, and for those that read, I wish you the best smile.  I am one of those people who believes they are witty and laughs at their jokes, its one of my rare moments of self-love.  Back to point!  

This could be my academic story in senior year for all its worth, I am going to do my best to entertain and amuse you, so bear with me.  Aristotle compartmentalizes rhetoric into three separate categories; the ethos, pathos, and logos.  Now you might be saying "huh" yet read on!  Rhetoric is most commonly defined as the "art of persuasion" and I live everyday employing the wonders of its brilliance.  I believe that we all seem to stick to our own category first and foremost, if you haven't guessed already, I'm one for pathos.  

The pathos is the emotion of someone, their smiles, frowns, laughs and sobs, it is the appeal made to someone's emotions.  Like watching Maury during the summer as a kid because you had basic cable (a dark moment of my past *cringe*), YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER lead to a lot of screams or wails, some good, some bad.  Basically when you say how you are feeling to someone else, you are making an appeal to someone's pathos.  

Now my friend Katie loves her ethos.  As my editor and Stanford graduate student, her academic prowess has very few equals.  Outside of me, of course.  She sticks to the loves and woes of fact and history.  The word Ph. D comes with respect in most scenarios in her ticker, and while I most certainly agree its not something that attracts me to others as a person.  Ethos is most commonly defined as someone's credibility, their past and accomplishments.  The third one is the most confusing to me, so I'll do my best * <---- note pathos appeal*.  

Searching google wasn't necessarily helpful for a common way to define logos outside of the word logic, yet here's a mind trick to maybe make a point.  The logic google follows would be a common example of rhetorical logos according to Aristotle.  If this, then that.  Most people dreaded geometry due to the wonders of that statement.  Because without clarification from the first point to the forty-second (thanks Mr. C for that final exam problem #scars), you don't have your answer to the problem.  I've met a few people who truly employ this as their primary appeal in their everyday life, but it doesn't kindle my fire.  Those people and books just don't.  Note pun number 22 in this post.

Questions to Ask!
What's your appeal?
What's your best friend's appeal?

Welcome to Tuesday in September (THE HORROR).

~Love Media Mike

P.S. If you counted the puns trying to get to 22, I lied.  ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment