Friday, September 13, 2013

Catch Me

"If you fall, I'll catch you" -ground

Dear Reader(s),
How was your day?  I'm asking a direct question because apparently no one will make a comment.  I once had a large group of people following me on twitter yet not one individual stranger will comment on my ramblings.  Quite sad considering I freely comment on people's decisions any chance I get.  The latest reading in the lovely Digital Communication class (which I missed because of vom-ing) discussed mainstream media, and the perspective that Americans don't see.

We volunteered at a local school buying and serving their meals, yet we didn't know that the kids were on summer vacation.  You can just imagine the groups sadness that no one would attend something we were so excited to go to, yet the tour guide assured us that they would all be there.  The reason the school was out was because it was 127 degrees out and the school buildings didn't have electricity, neither did the homes, but it wasn't the school's responsibility for the kids in the inopportune positions.  When we arrived at the school, it turns out, that all of the kids were there.  They all came because it was one of their first meals in up to two weeks, when I had asked them.  Mind you their first language wasn't English, it was Burmese.  They were 7-10 and all spoke fluent English.  Their parents didn't have enough money to feed them properly and they all worked full time jobs after school.  The KIDS all worked full time jobs.  Americans can't even imagine how lucky they are until you see something like a small child begging for food, not as a ploy, yet because they hadn't eaten in days.  And they aren't going to not give anything in return, they are going to be your tour guides and give you their drawings.  I will never forget, and I promise to go back one day.

Take a look around you and you'll see how lucky you are!  Especially with the media.  You get to read me ramble ;) Such a treat!

~Love Media Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment